Thursday 31 May 2012

My First Woodie

I thought a few months ago that a Great Spotted Woodpecker had came to my feeding station. I didn't really see it but caught a glimpse of red. My daughter also thought she had saw one some weeks later.
Yesterday (Wednesday 30 May 2012), about half ten in the morning, a female Great Spotted Woodpecker came and fed on the coconut shell filled with suet etc.. When I say fed, I mean it was filling its beak with food and flying off presumably to feed its young. I managed to get some pictures but unfortunately they were not very good. Thought this would be a one-off as we are beside a busy road and play park, but was I wrong. Just before eleven this morning in she came again doing exactly the same thing. I lost count of the number of times she came to the feeder but I needed more than my fingers and toes to count. On one occasion just before midday I thought, wait a minute there is some red on the nape. The female's mate was now here. They must have a few chicks as they were in and out all day. The coconut shell was put out just before 10 o'clock this morning and by seven o'clock tonight it was empty. Between the Woodpeckers and the Starlings they cleaned it out. I have since put out a six ball suet feeder and I can't see them lasting long. I think this could be an expensive time coming up. I will try and get more pictures but I need to be careful I don't scare them off. Blogger has changed since I was last on and I'm still trying find out how it works.

No comments: