Sunday 2 August 2009

Butterflies

I probably noticed Butterflies more when I was a kid but not so much recently. However, thanks to GBS Forum (THE FORUM) I am taking more and more notice of all flora and fauna that I see. I'm too long in the tooth to learn all but anything I photograph I'll try and get at least an ID and 'surf the net' to get more info. Just yesterday I was at the FIL's for the weekend (Wedding Reception on Saturday night) and went for a walk with the camera. I came upon these three Butterflies. This one is a bit 'tatty' but stayed long enough to photograph. I posted a pic on the GBS Forum in the hope of identifying it. Sure enough I got a response. This is a Painted Lady and my thanks to Lynmiranda (The Knowledge (Butterflies, Moths etc)) for the ID she provided.

This one is a Red Admiral but I am not one hundred percent sure.





A Cabbage White I believe. There appears to be many White Butterflies, some very similar so I am open to suggestions.

4 comments:

swatson said...

great shots,like you Jake,I am taking a little more interest but not getting many in my garden,just he white ones.Would love a blue.......

Steve said...

I've a feeling that's a Green-veined White, Jake. Large and Small White's have two black spots.

Definitely a red admiral for the other one.

karen said...

Lovely pics Jake. I couldn;t have told you the names of butterflies a month ago!! But, like you said, thanks to this wonderdful forum, i am now more aware x

MattHB said...

great shots jake, I think the top one is a dishevelled painted lady, and agree with steve on the other 2 :)