Monday 18 January 2010

Redwing

I haven't seen much on my usual riverside walk recently other than a couple of Fieldfares, the usual wildfowl which have now been joined by Goldeneye. There are also plenty of male and female Goosanders. This morning a flash of red caught my eye and my first reaction was a Robin but I couldn't see the bird very well as it was initially hidden by a bush beside the path. As I rounded the bush I could see it wasn't a Robin but in fact a Redwing. First time I have seen one. I also saw something else that I thought was a bit early in the birdie year but I'll share that later.

4 comments:

swatson said...

oh you lucky chap Jake,its such a lovely bird.Especially the markings around his eye
sheila

Jake's Blog said...

Thanks Sheila, lucky and quite privileged to see such a beautiful bird. Great to hear from you again and welcome back. My thoughts are with you and OH.

Mac said...

They are lovely aren't they? I had two visit me last week - really bold too, they came right up to the door. My OH said 'there's a really fat robin outside'! They were fighting a lot too, despite there being plenty of food.

karen said...

Great pics jake, they are lovely birds xxx